Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Devoting your talents to a cause that's larger than yourself


"See how the mass of men worry themselves into nameless graves, while here and there a great unselfish soul forgets himself into immortality." - Emerson.

Dr.Shanthi

As a small girl, brought up close to the southern tip of India, Shanthi had natured a dream of helping needy children. During the time I got to know her as my sister-in-law, she expressed her dream to me. Me being me did not take her seriously, I thought when money and fame comes her way, being a doctor, all these dreams would fade away. But on 27th Dec, 2008 Dr.Shanthi fulfilled her dreams by establishing a TRUST called ADVESA meaning ‘Unconditional Love’, along with her are two other like minded friends of hers to support her 

To begin with ADVESA has started a library for under privileged children in Mathur area, a panchayat situated 15 km from Chennai cityi. The library is called ‘Alphonsa library’ in respect for the sisters of the Hospice Jeevodhya, who had come forward to provide a room to start the library. The library was inaugurated on March 2nd, 2008 with the first day membership of 40 children. In the following days and months, number of children visiting the library kept increasing, proving wrong the social myth about reading interests of children. Alphonsa Library is growing slowly along with its members.

The trust also plans to conduct Social Awareness programs, provide Medical Aid, scholarships etc. 

I wish ADVESA and the trustees GOD’s blessings in abundance. 

I hope we as humans are inspired by such great examples and give back to world in our small ways.


1 comment:

Anitha said...

Hey Athan,

Nice post on Advesa trust and Shanthi akka. I have quoted you in my blog - Check out.

Cheers,

Ammu